Saturday 13 December 2008

3 Wishes for Cinderella


After my last post I've been thinking about films, books and television programmes I loved as a child.
I've been lamenting the fact that some of the wonderful children's programmes made in the 1970's aren't repeated today and I suppose nostalgia has truly set in.

My mission this week has been to try and acquire copies of some of these programmes to share with my own children.

Top of my list was a Czech version of Cinderella directed by Vaclav Vorlicek. It was serialised for children's television. I think it was originally recorded for German television, so it has English subtitles. Which I had forgotten about. My children loved every minute of this film.

"Three Wishes for Cinderella" or "Three Nuts for Cinderella" was usually broadcast around this time of the year and has a very strong association with the excitement of Christmas for me.
A great film to be watched on a frosty night in front of the fire while drinking hot chocolate.

The film is so beautifully shot with amazing scenery and exquisite costumes. The story has only slight deviations from the traditional story of Cinderella but enough to add a little more magic.

This Cinderella is independent and in control of her own destiny, even if she relies on a bit of good fortune in the form of 3 magic walnuts which contain 3 wishes and some cool outfits.
The fact that Cinders rides horses and shots like a sharpshooter made it more appealing and enjoyable for the boys in our house.

I found the following trailer on Youtube.



Isn't the music great too ?
The DVD can be found here.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love to be able to share movies I loved way back when with my children too. It's especially nice when they actually like it:)

RID said...

Last week we went to the theater Liceu (Barcelona opera house)and we saw Cinderella
http://www.liceubarcelona.com/infantil/presentacio.asp?i=339&a=f
So nice!!!
Have a nice week!