Monday 25 August 2008

Woodland living


Last week I took the children to see The Fox and The Child. What a treat it turned out to be. The kids loved the combination of story telling and wildlife documentary. Perfect for a little boy who loves to find out facts and information but still hasn't lost the childhood enjoyment of a good story. It was a mix between reality and fairytale. The film opened up a world were children can be free to have true adventures and the freedom to explore nature. A rare luxury compared with today's cautious and the risk assessed life of the regular city kid.
Although some reviewers haven't been that enthusiastic about this film, criticizing the dubbing and Kate Winslet's narration. I found the over all composition of the story beautiful . The scenery spectacular, the cinematography just perfect. Were some have described the film as twee I felt it was delightful, nostalgic and refreshing. It is rare that a visit to the cinema leaves my children wanting to find out more about the subject of the film . We certainly found it a welcome change from the usual animated and over hyped riot of images that are assumed to be the appropriate for children and their families. You can see an interview with the director and creator Luc Jaquet here.


The actress playing the child is Bertille Noel Bruneau ,


Isn't she pretty ? I love this still from the film. It illustrates the natural colour palette that is used throughout the film. Her hair style reminded me of something and at first I thought it was Princess Leia but then I remembered these.


From Hilary Lang of Wee Wonderfuls. Hilary posted the dolls on the left sometime ago and felt that they were not quite right. I personally love the hair on these dolls. Her creations are always so cute and her creativity seems unending. I've been a fan of Hilary's work some time and am feeling inspired by her to try my hand at some doll making. So far I have only attempted to make her Elf Stitchettes. I was delighted with the free pattern and the results.

Thinking ahead to Christmas I think I might try to make a few dolls myself, using the bun hair as inspiration.
My Autumn copy of Marie Claire Idees arrived at the beginning of this week and to my surprise continued on the theme of nature and had a similar colour palette to the film.





2 comments:

mayaluna said...

I can't wait to take my children to see this movie. It looks like the kind of fairy tale world I wish we could live in some times. Do you ever try to see the world through a different palette..don't know if i'm making sense, but sometimes some days feel like sepia...others feel like vibrant and tropical...I guess I'm a very visual, maybe a little wacky too:) Anyways, I love how you described the film and then found the colors in the new issue of Marie Claire (I might need to subscribe someday). I really love your blog and am sorry it took me so long to catch on! I've added you to my favorites and will be checking in on you regularly!
Maya

Cele said...

:)